Appendix 2: List of applicable University forms

GSO [Graduate Studies Office] numbers can normally be found in the top right-hand corner of the first page of the form. Forms are available in the SAME general office or can be downloaded from and

MSc to MPhil or vice versa; DPhil to DPhil (e.g. between departments)

GSO 28 (‘Change of programme of study’). This form is for transfers between different taught courses or different research degrees (including between departments).

MSc to PRS or MPhil to DPhil

Standard admissions form for all University courses.

MLitt or PRS to DPhil

GSO 2 (‘Application to transfer status’). This is the form to use for upgrading research students.

GSO 2B (‘Application for deferral of transfer of status’)

Confirmation of DPhil student status

GSO 14 (‘Application to confirm DPhil status’).

GSO 14B (‘Application for deferral of confirmation of DPhil status’).

Other (research students only apart from GSO 25 and 29)

GSO 3 appointment of examiners (for doctoral and MLitt vivas)

GSO 6 change of title (also possible via GSO 3 if final title)

GSO 15 extension of time

GSO 17 suspension of status

GSO 17a confirmation of return from suspension of status (obligatory to return from suspension)

GSO 18 extension of time to complete minor corrections (post-viva, 3 months only)

GSO 23 reinstatement to the register of graduate students (e.g. after lapsing)

GSO 25 change of supervisor or appointment of further supervisor(s)

GSO 29 notification of withdrawal from programme of study

NB: the ‘student number’ on these forms is not the University card number, but a special number usually of four to six figures, which may start with any number. If in doubt, ask in the SAME general office or leave blank.

The student is primarily responsible for filling in these forms at the appropriate times and in the appropriate circumstances, as well as making sure that they are signed by the whole range of individuals or authorities indicated on them (usually oneself, as well as the current or any new supervisor, the college, the director of graduate studies, and possibly others). Once the form is complete, it should be returned to the Departmental Office for copying and signing. The copies will then be filed in SAME and the originals sent by SAME staff to the Graduate Studies Office.